Enjoying an indulging foot spa is one of the great pleasures in life. Pampering yourself is a great way of unwinding and letting go of all of the stress that you encounter on a day to day basis, however actually going to a spa is not only expensive, but it’s also a hassle. One of the best ways to solve the problem is to do your own foot spa in the comfort of your own home.
What Will You Need?
There are a few basics that you’ll need to set up a foot spa in your own bathroom.
- A bowl of warm water
- Essential oil
- Rose petals
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- A cup of sea salt or sugar
- Seasonal fruit
- 1 cup of oats
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Nail clippers
- Fresh cream
- Nail file
- cuticle pushers
- Nail scrubber
- Nail cutters
- Pumice stone
- Cotton swab
- Nail polish remover
- Nail polish
- Olive oil
Make sure that you have all of these essentials together before you begin your home spa treatment as otherwise you won’t be able to relax properly since you will have to get up and down, fetching different items as you go.
How To Start
The first step to having your own foot spa is to prepare your nails ready to soak your feet and moisturize them. You can do this by following these simple steps:
- Remove any old nail varnish by using a remover.
- Cut the nails to the right length with the nail cutters, cutting straight across the nail.
- File the nails into your chosen shape
Soaking Your Feet
Once you have cut and filed your nails, it’s time to soak your feet. This is the best part of your treatment, so take the time to really enjoy this part of your home treatment. While you soak your feet in the bowl, you can fully relax by reading a favorite book, watching TV or even having a nap.
- Fill a large bowl with enough warm water to cover the ankles
- Add buttermilk together with salt and the essential oil
- Allow your feet to soak in the water for up to 20 minutes
- Remove feet from water and dry using a clean towel
Massaging The Feet
Once you have dried your feet, you can massage them.
- Add cream to the base of the toenails
- Scrub your soles with a pumice stone to remove all dead skin
- Remove the cream
- Push the cuticles back gently with a cuticle pusher
- Use a nail scrubber to scrub the nails
- Clean your feet thoroughly
- Exfoliate your feet with a scrub made of sugar and seasonal fruits
- Wash the exfoliating scrub off
- Towel your feet dry
Using a Rejuvenation Pack
Although this is something that is not usually done in a spa, it is a relaxing step that will make the procedure even more pampering and luxurious.
- Make up a pack of your own with honey and milk and oatmeal. This nourishing and rejuvenating pack soothes the skin on your feet and keeps it fresh. Alternatively, use a mash made up of fresh fruit and apply it to the feet.
- Allow the pack to dry on your feet. This will take around 20 minutes. While waiting for the pack to dry you can sit back and relax.
- Once the pack has dried, use lukewarm water to wash it away.
- Pat the skin dry gently.
Once you have completed this step your feet will feel much cleaner and more supple.
Moisturizing Your Feet
The next step is to thoroughly and intensively moisturize your feet. This will seal in the good work that you have done so far. Use olive oil or almond oil to carry out the massage. Massage the muscles of your calves as well as your feet as this will improve the blood flow through your legs and feet while stimulating the nerve endings.
Decorating Your Toes
Now you have finished pampering your feet and rejuvenating their skin, it’s time to make your feet look beautiful. You can use your favorite nail polish to decorate your nails in the method of your choice, either with a stylish French manicure or by using bright and colorful shades.
Using A Foot Spa Machine
If you’re looking for a really relaxing yet incredibly convenient way to have a foot spa in the comfort of your own home, using a foot spa machine is a great idea. If you plan to pamper yourself in this way, buying one of these devices is a great investment and you will get plenty of use from it.
There are many different brands available and devices can be bought at a range of price points to suit every budget. When choosing the best foot spa machine to suit your needs, you should compare the various options available. There are many different styles of foot spa available, some of which use solely bubbles while others also offer vibration as an extra bonus. Some have an integrated heater while others also feature massage rollers and a host of pedicure attachments. There is sure to be a home foot spa machine that suits your individual requirements.
Having a foot spa in the comfort of your own home is not only convenient but is also a great way of saving money. It is very easy to recreate the luxurious experience of being pampered in a professional spa yourself, simply by following these simple steps. One of the best times of day to have a foot spa is just before bed as it will help you to relax ready for a good and restful night of sleep. Also, your skin will have plenty of time to absorb the oils and moisturizers overnight. Why not have a foot spa every week?